JUST THE FACTS. NONE OF THE FANTASY.

My book "Uninhabitable; a case for caution" was the product over 10 years of research into the risks associated with climate change, as it pertained to the insurance industry.

My job was to look at the facts as they were presented by accredited scientific research and to assign a risk factor that would allow a profitable price to be established to issue policies to insured lives, homes and businesses from possible damages associated with future climate change events.

Needless to say my studies led me to some very frightening conclusions. Much like Las Vegas bookie, my assignment required a very serious appraisal of what was likely to be the outcome of future events, with the profitability of my company, depending on the accuracy of my predictions.

The most disturbing discovery was that, the conclusions my studies led me to, had very little in common with the information available in the media and the common perceptions of people in the street.

This eventually led my research away from purely scientific disciplines.




Saturday, April 24, 2010

Earth Day 2010 Bitter Sweet


So another earth day has come and gone and as usually it’s been a busy time of year.  It’s the time when everybody in the media scurries around trying to find interviews and articles to show how concerned they are about the environment. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the spotlight being shined on the subject, but I wish it could be shined brighter and longer. So, for me this earth day was both bitter and sweet. Let’s get the sweet out of the way first;

Both Barnes & Noble book signings went well. Not only selling the books but talking to the people reminds me that some are really paying attention. After the signing the manager decided to build an end cap display of the book for the rest of earth month. Got a Lot of new request to come to signing’s at out of state locations, we'll see, but some will not economically viable. Amazon ordered more books {an almost religious experience for me} and it looks like Baker and Taylor will need to order again soon.
  
The highlight of the week was the charity celebrity author’s event at The Harvard Club. Very che-che-foo-foo stuff at #1 Howard Hughes place, one of the most prestigious address in Vegas. The service and setting were flawless. Even better was the chance to mingle with others unstable and unhinged enough to be considered kindred spirits and to meet the key alumnus. Meeting next year’s students inspired both nostalgia and hope. What a bright and intent group of fine young people. Only 2200 were accepted out of more than 35,000 worldwide applications. I was sad to find there were only 6 from Nevada this year but for those who made the cut, it is a very nice leg-up from the powers to be.

I thought that President Osama’s earth day speech was adequate and it was encouraging to hear that he is sticking to his alternate energy plans for the future. But, of course, I did not think it went nearly far enough in scope or resource allocations. You know, I think the bitter stuff is going to have to wait, till Monday. It’s a beautiful day out and I know if I get started on that bitter rant now, I’ll miss the rest of the day. So, I’m just going to close the laptop and enjoy my weekend. I hope you do same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment